Sony cancels theatrical release of The Interview after threats
Sony Pictures has cancelled the Dec. 25 theatrical release of The Interview, saying it made the decision after most exhibitors slated to screen the film decided not to in the wake of threats to attack theatres. In a statement, Sony Pictures said it was disappointed, but respected the decision not to screen the movie and "share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theatre-goers."
There had been some speculation that Sony might offer the film for in-home viewing, but a Reuters report quoted a Sony spokeswoman as saying the studio has "no further plans for the film" in response to a question about whether a postponed theatrical release or a video-on demand release might be in the offing. U.S. theatres weren't the only ones to react — all 17 Rainbow and Magic Lantern Theatres in Toronto cancelled screenings of The Interview during the Christmas holidays, after hackers behind the cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment threatened moviegoers with Sept. 11-style attacks.
A spokesperson told CBC News's Ioanna Roumeliotis the cinemas aren't sure whether the decision will be reversed. The Cineplex website in Canada currently shows no dates for the film.
After careful consideration of this unprecedented and complex situation, Cineplex Entertainment will postpone presentation of the Sony Pictures movie, The Interview," Par Marshall, Cineplex's VP of communications and investor relations, told CBC News. "Cineplex takes seriously its commitment to the freedom of artistic expression, but we want to reassure our guests and staff that their safety and security is our No. 1 priority. We look forward to a time when this situation is resolved and those responsible are apprehended."